Operations and Compliance Director
The Michigan House Democratic Fund is seeking a thoughtful, driven, results-oriented Operations Director to join a team of passionate people working dutifully to win Michigan House races and to put our state on the right path forward.
The Operations Director position, based in Lansing, MI, reports directly to the Finance Director. He or she will own the day-to-day compliance and financial management of the Michigan House Democratic Fund (MHDF). The position also necessitates compliance deadline management assistance with associated PACs and candidate committees.
The ideal candidate must have excellent communication and time management skills, as well as a strong work ethic and unyielding desire to win. He or she must be incredibly detail oriented with the proven ability to manage multiple projects at once. You must be high energy, outgoing, goal-driven, enthusiastic, and willing to travel and work long hours.
- Manage House Democratic Fund compliance, including record keeping and filing of all necessary campaign finance reports
- In election years, he or she will serve as the main compliance point of contact for all campaigns – providing assistance and answering questions as needed for campaign managers and candidates
- Track and record contributions and expenditures of House Democratic Fund and associated accounts in order to provide an accurate picture to leadership
- Communicate with all campaigns on election year finance deadlines, review all reports before candidate committees file and provide support when needed
- In the immediate post-deadline period, break down and analyze House Republican report in order to provide support for communications staff
- Keep NGP database up to date and provide reports on fundraising for leadership when needed
- Process all invoices and pay in a timely manner
- Manage House Democratic Leader and House Democratic Floor Leader’s PACs, including day-to-day accounting and compliance
- Track and record projected goals and outstanding donor commitments
- Create weekly reports to share with campaign leadership and stakeholders
- Prepare memos for pitch meetings with prospective donors, including Lansing institutional donors
- Help plan and staff fundraising events for leadership, including invite creation and mailing, call time preparation, and event-day staffing
- Help plan events for caucus members, including space reservation and other tasks as assigned
- Communicate with member offices and create a member events calendar to be shared with lobby corp and caucus member staff
- Serve as MHDF main point of contact for requests and questions from members of the lobby corps
- Help maintain a comprehensive list lobby/labor contact and share with members on an as-needed basis
- A strong desire to learn and understand all aspects of campaign fundraising, as well as a desire to work directly with our legislators
- Experience with Michigan campaign finance compliance is strongly preferred, but not required
- Willingness to work occasional events and projects outside the normal work hours or weekends
- Ability to take the initiative and work within a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate will be able to adapt as circumstances change and is able to balance multiple projects simultaneously
- Extreme attention to detail at all times.
- At least 1 cycle of campaign fundraising experience is preferable, but not required
- Past experience with fundraising tools, including MERTS, NGP, ActBlue, and robust knowledge of Excel and Google Suite, is required
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a cover letter, resume, relevant work samples (finance plans, budget tracking sheets, call sheets, etc.), and three (3) references to Sarah Carrillo at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put “Operations and Compliance Director” in the subject line.
The Michigan House Democratic Fund is an equal opportunity employer. MHDF believes every employee has the right to work in an environment free from unlawful discrimination as is consistent with our commitment to diversity, respect and inclusion.