The Michigan House Democratic Fund is seeking a thoughtful, driven, results-oriented, full-time Finance Director to join a team of passionate people, working dutifully to achieve our mission of electing Democrats as State Representatives and putting our state on the right path forward.
The Finance Director will direct all caucus fundraising, including oversight of all caucus accounts, budget management, and individual fundraising for House members. She or he will also assist with compliance and will be expected to develop a strong knowledge of Michigan campaign finance laws and the political landscape in Michigan. The position will report to the Executive Director and will manage the Compliance and Operations Director and two Finance Associates. This position is based in Lansing, MI.
The Finance Director, who will be based in Lansing, will be expected to:
- Ensure that cash flow and budgetary projections are met while creatively identifying new revenue streams;
- Plan and execute fundraising events, including MHDF’s annual dinner, as well as other donor events throughout the calendar year;
- Maintain donor relationships with key stakeholders, including Labor and national partner organizations;
- Work alongside an individual donor coordinator to identify potential new donors to MHDF and our candidates;
- Make deposits and pays bills in a timely manner;
- Work with the campaigns director and the MHD finance team to craft fundraising objectives;
- Prepare and manage call time for the MHD Minority Leader and other identified fundraisers;
- Serve as a resource/coach to our MI House Dems campaigns about fundraising strategy and reporting requirements;
- Have strong organizational skills and the ability to multitask and manage multiple deadlines and responsibilities;
- Lead regularly scheduled in-person trainings or webinars on a wide range of finance skills – including, but not limited to – compliance.
- Commit to details, results, meeting goals, and tracking/using data to inform decisions;
- Produce weekly reports for stakeholders and MI House Dems’ campaign leadership team;
- Work well in a team environment with legislators, caucus staff, funders, and stakeholders; and
- Have a positive attitude and ability to motivate staff members.
- A minimum of 2 years of prior political or fundraising experience – experience working on a statewide or congressional political campaign or a state political party preferred;
- Experience with online and direct mail fundraising, call time management, and conceptualizing and executing fundraising events;
- A record of and a commitment to innovative approaches in addition to the traditional fundraising tactics and strategies;
- Prior experience with targeting donors and follow-up management;
- A commitment to learning best practices and adapting as necessary;;
- Experience creating finance plans;
- Experience managing staff and/or volunteers preferred;
- Strong time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and competing priorities simultaneously under strict deadlines;
- Detail oriented with exceptional record keeping and organizational skills;
- Michigan ties/experience a plus, but not required;
- Have extensive knowledge of NGP, ActBlue, and other fundraising tools;
- Exceptional people skills and patience;
- Ability to produce excellent, detail-oriented, accurate work in a very fast-paced environment;
- An unwavering commitment to accuracy and results;
- Votebuilder (VAN), Google Docs, Dropbox, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Office/Excel familiarity is required;
- Ability to travel frequently throughout Michigan, including access to a vehicle and access to a cell phone; and
- A strong commitment to Democratic values.
HOW TO APPLY
Compensation depends on experience and is competitive. The Michigan House Democratic Fund is an equal opportunity employer, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color to apply for open positions.
Please send a resume, cover letter, 3 relevant writing samples (a finance plan, fundraising emails, tracking documents, etc.), and at least three references to email@example.com and put “Finance Director” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.