The Michigan House Democratic Fund is seeking a thoughtful, driven, results-oriented, full-time Communications Director to join a team of passionate people, working dutifully to achieve our mission of electing Democrats as State Representatives and putting our state on the right path forward.
The Communications Director will be responsible for helping shape and implement values-inspired messaging among Michigan house campaigns. The ideal candidate will be high energy, outgoing, enthusiastic, and willing to work long hours. She or he must also be a strong writer with an eye for detail and style. The communications director will also need to be an effective relationship builder and coach – training candidates and campaign staff to be more effective delivering their campaign messaging.
The Communications Director, who will be based in Lansing and reports directly to the Caucus’ Executive Director, will:
- Oversee cross-channel content development for all communications of our Michigan house campaigns. Campaign communication channels include – but are not limited to – written, social media, website, and public speaking
- Be directly responsible for the creation of press releases, media advisories, and all other written content when necessary for our top-tier campaigns
- Develop relationships with candidates and in-district local press
- Share weekly campaign messaging guidance with all members and candidates
- Maintain and expand our weekly Social Media Ambassadors program
- Create and share monthly stakeholder newsletter
- Manage a quarterly communications intern
- Be responsible for assembling weekly clips for top-tier races
- Builds and maintains a statewide campaign communications and events calendar
- Participate in weekly campaign team meetings with our campaign co-chairs and senior caucus leadership to update the team of on-going projects
- Participate in weekly campaign consultant team meetings with the campaigns director to update the team of on-going projects
- Lead regularly scheduled in-person trainings or webinars on a wide range of communications skills – including, but not limited to – public speaking, values-driven messaging, how to write a press-release, as well as website and digital content development
- Play an active role in the finance team’s email fundraising program and provide additional written materials for finance projects, as needed
We are seeking candidates who excel in problem solving and proactively identifying opportunities for improving our work product, have the ability to think strategically, and experience directly coaching others to effectively communicate. You should have:
- A proven track record of consistently meeting established deadlines and uses time effectively while managing multiple, simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment
- The ideal candidate is passionate about movement building by embracing all people, traditions, and state culture.
- At least one cycle working on a communications team
- The ability to be an excellent team player and collaborator
- Excellent writing skills and a high attention to detail
- Willingness to jump in without hesitation to any task – big or small
- An ongoing interest in continued learning and adaptation based on best practices
- Ability to travel frequently, including access to a vehicle and access to a cell phone
- Votebuilder (VAN), Google Docs, Dropbox, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Office/Excel experience is preferred, but not required
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume, cover letter, 3 writing samples, and at least three references to Caucus Director Mike McCollum at firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Communications Director” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
The Michigan House Democratic Fund is an equal opportunity employer. MHDF believes every employee has the right to work in an environment free from unlawful discrimination as is consistent with our commitment to diversity, respect and inclusion.